In an age long gone, mortals dethroned the gods and seized the heavens for their own. And for it, they were flung down into the world of clay, their minds clouded by ignorance. Only a bare few remember their birthright -- the power of magic. If they cannot claim the heavens, they will make their own kingdoms on Earth.
In the Wizarding World there are a number of spells that you can use. In our game all spells require a wand even if any of them are noted as 'wandless' in canon. Below is a reasonable list of spells you would know if you are playing a character in Hogwarts or an Adult.
- * Marks a spell whose incantation is officially unknown, so may be subject to change in the future.
- ** Marks a spell created for Hogwarts by Night
Spells that are noted as being restricted have laws and ministry oversight governing their use
- Unlocks doors unless it is magically safety locked
- Locks a door, so it can't be opened manually
- Allows you to change the colour of an object
- Cuts objects in a precise fashion
- Conjures up a light source at the tip of your wand
- Pillow charm that conjures up an unseen softening effect. This is especially used on brooms.
- Puts out the light source produced with the Lumos charm
- Produces blue flames that it waterproof and don't consume fuel or burn objects/people
- Repairs broken objects
- Softens an area of object, making rubber-like and bouncy
- Wingardium Leviosa
- Levitates an object
- Repels an opponent, knock away an object, blast apart fragile objects
- Causes your wand to emit a defensive cloud of smoke
- Conjures a blast of flame smaller than an average campfire
- Shoots up a flare of red light, easily visible
- Slugulus Eructo
- Causes your victim to start coughing up slugs. It isn't easy to cure but is exceedingly simple to counter (requiring little more than a wand wand) so it is really only used to learn the basics or to curse unsuspecting foes. It does not work against magical creatures
- Forces an object or your victims legs to dance
- Vermillious (red), Verdimillious (Green), Coerulmillious* (Blue) & Flavomillious* (Yellow)
- Conjures bright coloured sparks
Mostly theory work and the alphabet
- Changes a matchstick into a needle
- Changes an object into a bird
- Transforms a small creature or item into a matchbox
- Changes the colour and style of an outfit
- Transforms a match into a needle
- Transforms book into a mouse
- Antidote to Common Poisons
- Counteracts common natural poisons, stings and bites
- Boil cure potion
- Cures boils.
- Forgetfulness potion
- Makes the drinker forget in short periods of time.
- Herbicide Potion
- Kills or damages plants
- Hiccupping solution
- Causes hiccupping.
- Wideye/Wiggenweld Potion
- Awakens an unconscious person. Antidote for the Draught of Living Death.
- Shows invisible ink.
- Arresto Momentum
- Slows the speed of a falling object or person.
- Makes objects move downwards (e.g. attic ladders, books on high shelves).
- Enlarges an object
- Freezes small objects in the midst of a movement, also capable of freezing muggle burgular alarms
- Makes an object up to the size of a suitcase as light as a feather.
- Deletes the victim's memories about something or someone. At this point, students are only able to affect the mind of muggles
- Tickles your victim
- Both a counter-charm against Engorgio and a spell that reduces objects
- Disarming charm, causes what your target is holding to fly out of their hand. This is generally viewed as a cowards spell by 2020
- Gives the victim boils where struck
- Locomotor Mortis
- Leg-Locker curse that binds the victim's legs together
- Tongue-tying curse
- Mucus ad Nauseam
- Curses someone to have a bad cold and runny nose. If not treated the victim may collapse
- Petrificus Totalus
- Full Body-Bind Curse that forces the victim's arms to snap to the sides of the body while the legs are bound together
- Reverses incompletely cast low-level transfiguration spells
- Turns an object into a quill pen
- Transfigures the air before your wand into a snake
- Vera Verto
- Transforms an animal into a water goblet
- Cough potion
- Cures coughing.
- Hair-raising potion
- Makes the drinkers' hair stand vertically on their heads.
- Pepper-up potion
- Cures colds immediately.
- Sleeping draught
- Causes the drinker to fall asleep for some time
- Swelling solution
- Makes someone or something swell.
- Unlocks doors
- Causes a small explosion
- Cheering charm. Generates a nice and happy feeling in the target
- Erects things such as tents
- Makes an object temporarily resistant towards another material such as soil and water
- Locomotor (object)
- Levitates the object you mention after the spell a few inches off the ground so it will float slowly in the direction indicated by your wand
- Washes things. When used against a person, it fills the person's mouth with soap
- Specialis Revelio
- Reveals an object's magical abilities.
- Spiro Fervensar*
- Hot air charm that leads to a flow of hot air flow steadily from your wand
- Neutralises low to middle level magical effects placed on an object depending on the power and training of the caster
- Instils fear in a target so that they flee or stand immobile. Warning is made that some peoples fight or flight reactions can cause this spell to effectively backfire
- Conjures a blast of freezing cold air from the tip of the wand
- Mucus ad Nauseam*
- Bat-Bogey hex turns the victim's bogies into bats
- Seals someones mouth as if it was never there, with skin covering the area
- Parum Oculus*
- Conjunctivitis curse that makes the victim's eyes red and make them swell up
- Transfigures a nearby object into restraints which attempt to latch onto a foe
- Transform an object into a rabbit
- Point Me
- Makes your wand point north when it lies on your palm
- Changes an object into a tortoise
- Antidote to Uncommon Poisons
- Stronger variant of the earlier potion, excellent against Doxy venom
- Babbling beverage
- Makes the drinker babble nonsense
- Bulbadox juice
- Makes a person's skin break out in boils.
- Confusing Concoction
- Drinker is heavily confused for a period
- Girding Potion
- Increases the drinkers endurance for a fortnight
- Wound-Cleaning potion
- Cleans wounds.
- Summons a particular object from a distance
- Bubble-Head charm, that makes the perfect round bubble around your head and functions as an oxygen source
- Banishing charm. Expels a particular object
- Marks a particular object with what you draw with your wand
- Causes the victim's tongue to stick to the roof of their mouth
- Quietens sounds, also counters Sonorus
- Amplifies your voice magically
- Suphons liquid from a target
- Confounds the victim
- Temporarily slows the target
- Opsideo Jugulum*
- Choking spell, constricts your victims windpipe making it very difficult to breath
- Triggers a brief temporary shield against jinxes and charms. Continous concentration is required for it to last, preventing other spells
- Forcefully separates two objects or creatures, often used to free a target of something restraining them
- Forces a boggart to assume a shape you imagine
- Clears the targets throat of obstuction instantly
- Hardens an object into stone
- Heals minor injuries such as broken noses, broken toes and split lips
- Permanently fixes portraits and other items to something, does not end on death
- Reverts magically-induced ailments such as paralysis
- Antidotes (various)
- Antidotes against a number of known potions and drinks. Includes antidotes to several love potions
- Beautification potion
- Makes the drinker appear far more beautiful than normal.
- Wit-sharpening potion
- Makes it easier for the drinker to think clearer, counters the confundo charm
- Obliterates evidence of passing, including footprints
- Lets the target explode into powerful flames
- This charm counteracts the Prior Incantato
- Produces a warm, dry snow that starts falling
- Flame-freezing charm. Enchants normal flames and makes them harmless
- Homenum Revelio
- Reveals human presence in the affinity
- Lifts up a target person as if they were a puppet on strings, so that they float where directed
- Prior Incantato
- Shows the last cast spell from the given wand
- Temporarily takes away the ability to speak or make sound from animals and humans
- Shrinks an attacking object rapidly
- Lifts the victim into the air by the ankles.
- Rescues victims from the Levicorpus.
- Peius Metus**
- Conjures an image of your targets worse fears. This Penrosetm spell was invented after studying Boggarts
- Explodes solid objects into bits.
- Counteracts Stupefy, and acts as a revitalizer.
- Throws a red beam that paralyses the victim upon contact.
By the end of this year, students should be able to transfigure parts of objects/animals. Switching fangs for gummy bears etc
- Transforms an object or rock into a dog which will obey you
- Vanishes an object
- Copies an object, though the copies are false and worthless
- Inanimatus Conjurus
- Returns a recently vanish object to reality
- Ageing potion
- Ages the drinker for a short while. The more drunk the older.
- Befuddlement Draught
- Produces hot-headedness and recklessness.
- Calming Draught
- Calms the drinker mentally, used after a shock or trauma.
- Draught of Peace
- Relieves the drinkers anxiety and agitation. Prevents them getting riled up.
- Invigoration Draught
- Boosts the drinkers energy
- Strengthening Solution
- Gives the drinker a temporary strength beyond the usual.
- Shoots a water beam out of your wand
- Bombarda Maxima
- Causes a great explosion, enough to take out a stone wall
- Deprehensio Commitio*
- Magical burglar alarm, that notifies the spellcaster if an somene a particular area
- Discrim Enres*
- Protean charm. Binds duplicated objects together so changes on the original appears on the copies as well
- Disillusionment charm, turns you chameleon depending on the casters proficency
- Imperturbable. Forms a magical barrier around an object, like a door, so that no one can hear through it
- Repello Muggletum
- Functions as a cover against muggles which will make muggles entering the enchanted area, turn around and go back. Multiple castings are cumulative
- Refills objects such as water jugs and sandwich trays
- Finite Incantatem
- Neutralizes many kinds of magical effects placed on an object depending on the power and training of the caster
- This curse affects an item causing it to burn anything that touches it, affecting both flesh and materials. There is no outward sign that an object has been affected by this spell
- Enchants one or more objects to launch themselves at or otherwise attack a target
- Punctum Alica*
- Stinging kinx. Imitates an insect bite and results in a huge swelling on the victim.
- Tormentum Mortis*
- Otherwise known as the Transfiguration Torture, this spell magically twists a victims insides causing torturous pain and eventual death. It must be recited several times to take effect making it useless in duels
- Unbreakable Vow
- This non-verbal only spell is difficult to cast and somewhat ritualistic. It forms a binding contract between two individuals (the caster cannot be one of them) with immediate death being the result of it being broken
- Leads to growth of antlers on the victim's head
- Conjures yellow canaries out of thin air
- Crinus Muto
- Instantly changes the colour and style of ones hair
- Produces thick ropes and throws them against the target.
- Produces a beautiful bouquet of orchids
- Produces an opaque illusion of real love. Makes the drinker fall in love with the brewer for a short time.
- Draught of Living Death
- Makes the drinker fall in a deep sleep.
- Elixir to Induce Euphoria
- Induces a sense of inexplicable, irrational happiness upon the drinker.
- Polyjuice potion
- Physically transforms the drinker into another person. Painful to get wrong, takes a month to brew.
- Creation of this potion requires Keeper oversight.
- Shrinking solution
- Makes someone or something shrink in size and age.
- Volubilis Potion
- Restores the drinkers voice, can be modified to instead transform the drinkers voice into someone elses.
- Cave inimicum
- Protects an area so those outside are unable to see or hear those inside.
- Digs or carves out an area of earth or stone
- Corrects an enormous pressure down on something else.
- Eximius Voluntasio*
- Boosts the spellcasters senses, granting increased awareness
- Turns a staircase into a slippery slide for a short period
- Meteolojinx Recanto
- Neutralizes magically conjured or changed weather.
- Deletes the victim's memories about something or someone. At this level it can be used against wizards and other supernatural beings
- Salvio Hexia
- A shield charm that protects an area against a number of jinxes.
- Terrorem Clamor
- Caterwauling charm, creates a loud audible alarm is someone enters a large area excluding those designated by the spellcaster
- Protego Maxima
- Creates a large shield covering an area that prevents others passing and causes spells to explode against it without penetrating. Multiple casts are cumulative by area. Continous concentration is required for it to last, preventing other spells
- Makes a slashing motion with your warn, deeply cutting your target which can lead to bleeding to death. Body parts lost to this cannot be healed
- Avada Kedavra (Dark Art)
- Kills the victim with no means of survival. Formerly considered an Unforgivable Curses
- Crucio (Dark Art)
- One of the three Unforgivable Curses that inflicts excruciating pain on the victim. Formerly considered an Unforgivable Curses.
- Imperio (Dark Art) ~ Use against Wizards is Restricted
- Gives the spell-maker absolute control over the victim's actions. Formerly considered an Unforgivable Curses.
Various complete animal transfigurations, highly difficult to get perfect
- Reverts an Animagus to human form, has some effect on Garou and other willing shapeshifters but not those cursed by lycanthropy
- Inverto Corportus*
- Transfigures the spellcaster into particular object for a period of time
- Piertotum Locomotor
- Animates a large number of previously inanimate and unmoving objects to obey your commands
- Vulnera Sanentur
- Closes and heals gashes and cuts, the incantation is songling and requires repeated vocalisation to be effective. It is the only known counter-curse to Sectumsempra
- Blood supply potion
- Makes the drinker's body produce more blood
- Felix Felicis
- Makes the drinker exceptionally lucky. Highly difficult to get right, takes six months to brew. Ingrediants are near impossible to obtain
- Creation of this potion in play requires Keeper overview.
- Mandrake Restorative Draught
- Restores a truly petrified person back to their original state
- Memory potion
- Makes it easier for the drinker to remember well in a short period of time
- Wolfsbane potion
- Allows a werewolf to stay in control of his/her body during full moon. Ingrediants are expensive and hard to come by
Advanced Spells (Adults)
These spells are not taught at Hogwarts.
If your character is capable of casting any of these it must be noted on your character sheet or learnt during play through keeper run plot
- Unsupported Flight
- The only known magical method of flying without a broom. Invented by Voldemort and taught only to his closest and most loyal of follows.
- Capacious extremis (Charm) ~ Highly Restricted
- Undetectable Extension charm, that extends something, for example a room or a bag but keeps the external dimensions
- Conligo Linquo* (Charm)
- Makes Apparition impossible into and/or out of a given area
- Custodis Clanculum* (Charm) ~ Highly Restricted
- Fidelius charm, which is used to keep a secret. Only the Secret Keeper participating in the spell can reveal the secret.
- Expecto Patronum (Charm/DADA) ~ Illegal
- Produces a patronus, embodied or not depending on the abilities of the individual. Noted as typicaly being far beyond NEWT level
- Even those who can cast a patronus are not likely to know how to use them to send messages as that is an even more advance ability developed by Dumbledore himself.
- While casting this spell is highly restricted by the Ministry (to the point of possible arrest), knowing how to use it to send messages is a guarantee for a one-way visit to Azkaban for opposing the government.
- Fianto Duri (DADA)
- Augments a shield or protective charm to last without concentration on behalf of the caster
- Legilimens (Other)
- Forces access into the victim's thoughts.
- Occulumency (Other) ~ Restricted
- The art of defending your mind against external intrusion
- Portus (Charm) ~ Highly Restricted
- Turns a particular object into a portkey
- Repello Inimicum (DADA)
- Augments a shield spell to have increased power and to hurt those that attempt to pass it. Multiple castings are cumulative in power
- Morsmodre (Dark Art)
- Conjures up Lord Voldemorts Dark Mark into the sky
- Deflagrus Beluosus*
- Produces fiendfyre, a special form of difficult to control dark magic. Even learning this spell requires a firm grasp of both the Dark Arts and Transfiguration
- Elixir of Life
- Gives eternal life as long as the potion is consumed regularly. A Sorcerer's Stone is required to brew this potion making it the rarest potion to have ever existed
- Veritaserum - Highly Restricted
- Forces the drinker to tell the truth and nothing else
- Magically re-grows removed bones
- Drink of Despair
- An emerald green potion that fills the drinkers mind with terrible thoughts (roughly equal to the presence of a great many dementors) while causing them to suffer dehydration and a burning sensation of their insides. Often lethal
Custom Player-Made Spells (Adults)**
Knowledge of these spells are not common place. Very few characters know them.
- Adfectus Amoveo
- This spell is a mental spell that directly affects target. Temporarily makes target feel no emotions. Once close enough to the target and with full concentration the caster releases a black smoke from tip of wand that goes into target through their eyes to the brain area that controls emotions and clouds it over disrupting the target's ability to feel emotions. For a duration of at a most of a full day the target will feel no emotions at all. Thus feeling numb to the world around them.
- Et observantiam
- Any familial matches among a sample will be indicated by a semi-holographic family tree appearing above the grouped petri dishes, made of particulates of the blood samples. Clear family indication is possible, three levels removed, so as deep as second cousin or great grandparent/child
- Gladio autem Fulgur
- This spell is a direct offensive spell/defensive spell. After proper wand movement with concentration and focus the caster generates a sword made of pure lightning around caster's hand/wrist and wand. The wand becoming the hilt. Blue representing the defensive and the protection of others. The red represent offensive and anger is used to attack full on. If struck with said blade (either color) lightning damage and wounds are cauterized. If pierced with said blade becomes a direct disruption of the central nervous system/lightning damage with possible death.
- Lingua complexio
- This charm is a mental spell that directly affects caster. With the tip of the wand to temple. Caster after casting charm must hear the language he/she wishes to know and speak. Once heard the caster is able to speak and understand spoken language.
- Locum Sicco
- A spell used to dry up any pools of water from puddle to pond size. The charm acts on water in a confined area, redistributing it to the air. The use of Locum Sicco on a large body of water, such as a pond, will therefore create a great deal of local humidity.
- Creates a moving 3D image of the inside of a womb that is moved on to a blank portrait for viewing.
- Recordatus memorias
- Lets you recall things that have slipped your mind (such as where you left your keys). With a wand make a cross like motion over the targets head, say the incantation and follow it by saying "remember _____".
- Any time you feel the need to physically, verbally, or emotionally abuse anyone, instead of acting against them, you turn away and go as soon as practically possible to the caster of the curse, and inflict that same torment upon them. Known only to its creator, Dr Azra Idris Malak. Well kept secret.
- When wanting to put something way that may be in another room if you have a few items in a pile and need to put them all way. most common use is in cleaning a room or a house. This charm is not taught at Hogwarts so as to not encourage laziness or the underage use of magic.
- Isthmus charm
- An incomplete charm that forms a strong connection between two objects across any distance. Works best with objects with strong emotional ties to the caster.
Custom Player-Made Potions (Adults)**
- "Palmers Patented Pain Potion" (PPPP or P^4)
- Taking it's core ingredients from papaver somniferum and atropa belladonna, this potion give relief from all types of pain and physical discomfort.
Due to the nature of the final product, it is recommended to be used sparingly, and so comes in tiny vials of black glass with a red cap.
It is also noted that in excessive use, the PPPP (or P^4) is addictive, and toxic, and immediate overuse can leave the imbiber asleep for days on end.
Formulated by Dr Azra Idris Malak, of Azkaban Prison, in honour of Auror Timothy Palmer, who died in the line of duty.
Credits: This list was compiled and created by Keeper of Illusions. Credit also goes to WorldofPotter as the inspiration for this list.